Monday, January 4, 2016

Day 178: Cleared For Take Off

Happy New Year!! Today is a very special day, a day that seemed like a life-time away. I got up, took a few photos and rushed to the train to head downtown. Why was I so excited?


Because… today is the day I went to visit Dr. Huang (My Orthodontist)! Today is the day I escaped tooth prison… the braces came off!

Dr Huang gets 2 thumbs up!
Just shy of the 2 year mark since I first held my teeth captive, just shy of 6 months since my surgery. The first few months I was sure that it would never end, I was pretty bummed out being an adult with braces…. but holy cow, a lot has changed!


Did it hurt to get them off? Yes, but it may not be that way for everyone. My gums and lips are hyper sensitive at the moment so getting the bracket off the tooth makes them vibrate just enough for the nerves to go bananas. Getting the glue off the individual teeth didn't bother my teeth at all, the blast of air off of the tiny grinder made my gums cringe. The smell of hot tooth glue is not delicious. But Dr. Huang did everything in short bursts, giving me a moment to recover every few teeth. He also tried to shield my gum line from the air (which really only bothered me on the bottom jaw- the very sensitive / numb/ hyperactive / nightmare zone). 

A successful escape
I walked up to the mirror to rinse the glue debris from my mouth and saw my teeth for the first time. I let out an audible giggle. It was the first time I had ever seen my teeth like this! I stayed for end photos and to get impressions for my invisalign retainers. A few months ago they had tried to get some images and opening my mouth with the plastic bars hurt so much I was almost brought to tears. Today everything felt almost normal! Its all sensitive but the pain is going away. The first real sign for me of progress in this department. 

I sent my husband photos from the chair and he came up with the brilliant idea of celebration ramen! The hot soup felt a bit strange on my teeth but with noodles this good, who cares. 


Now I am home and its so surreal… I glace in the mirror and think "look at those chompers"! I actually feel really pretty… go figure!



1 comment:

  1. These are just brilliant before and after images of your dental braces. You just got an incredible smile on your face. You know my sister also had the dental braces last year from a professional dentist Redondo Beach. She was also highly satisfied with the results of braces.

    ReplyDelete