Thursday, January 7, 2016

Six Months: Hello Invisalign

This past month (and the start of the new year) has been eventful to say the least. As I posted Monday I got my braces off, it was glorious.

But since Monday I have had two more tooth related appointments: Picking up my invisalign from Dr. Huang and getting my last face scan from Dr. Olsson!

Invisalign:
Behold my new tooth prison for 20+ hours a day for the next 3 months (and then at night, forever)…


I have had them for roughly 36 hrs and its an interesting new experience thus far.

Pros:
After having so much trauma to this part of my face over the last year it is actually kind of comforting. They do not hurt because they are not made to progressively shift my teeth, but to keep them exactly where they are now. Since I'm mildly scared about getting bumped in the face, hit with a door or slipping on an icy sidewalk it assures me my teeth aren't falling out… or something. Anyway, they are kind of like a hug for each tooth.

The Inaugural Wear
You have to get pretty up close and personal to see them on my teeth. Two things give it away: 1. When my teeth are closed there is a slight gap (shown above), 2. When wearing, I currently have a tiny lisp when saying things that end in S.  I have also already forgotten I was wearing them a couple times (may be due to still having tooth numbness).

Cons:
You need to take them out anytime you want to eat or drink anything (other than water). Because I forgot I was wearing them last night I tried to eat some bread and couldn't figure out why it felt so odd. This means I have to plan my coffee drinking into short bursts instead of my all day routine.

After I eat or drink something and before putting them back in I need to brush my teeth. So where ever I go I need to bring my case and my tiny vial of tooth powder.

Case (they gave me blue to match my hair), Appliance bath,
tooth powder (need to get a tiny portable brush too)
Care:
I really didn't want to have an open glass of water sitting around with my teeth in it so I bought a little sealing bath at the pharmacy. It has a little draining basket in it so i don't have to fish my teeth out with my paws.

Figuring out how to clean them was a little more challenging. Can not clean them with toothpaste or mouthwash and after reading the ingredients on the denture / retainer cleaners I was determined to not have artificial colors, flavors, chemicals and whatever metal shavings they put in that crap. Turns out really watered down distilled white vinegar does the same job. I'm not a fan of vinegar (unless its salt and vinegar chips) but some running water gets ride of residue.

My teeth in a basket
Then today I visited Dr. Olsson for my last visit (as long as nothing odd happens). All is healing as it should and will continue to for up to two years. I can still feel where there is a break in the bone even tho Dr. Olsson believes I think too much about these things ;)


 …And then I got a brand new face scan!

I KNEW IT, Ive gone full Terminator!!
2013 vs 2016
Post op (wired shut) vs Today

Illuminated chompers
As you can see, where my bottom jaw is broken, the left side has a larger break and plate. This is also the side that still is visible on the outside as well… totally not making that up.

Here is this month's numbness progression. The changes are slight, almost too slight for me to really account in any helpful way…but here it is anyway:


Maybe by the time my invisalign goes into retainer mode I will have more or less feeling and less of a visible crater. Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment