Thursday, March 10, 2016

Eight Months: The Grind

I am still alive! So the thing about continuing to heal is you start actually living life as normal. It has been 8 months since my surgery and I still have a bit left before getting back to being totally normal.

The Feels:
March 2016

VS
December 2015
 Okay, nerves are kind of jerks. So slow to heal…. but thankfully I can look back and see how the progress has been…progressing. When you live with something day to day its hard to reflect or see any changes. I still have hyper active bits - green - these bits still go through the gambit of feeling and are very sensitive to touch, temperature, ect. The little blue dot is the "meh" zone. If i touch this spot i feel it a little bit but it doesnt bother me… its not a big deal. This spot was off and on numb for ages. It has been upgraded to a code: meh. Also, if you cant tell from the photos, I can wear make-up again without it feeling super odd.

Being Human:

Not only have I been trying to phase some
make-up back into my life but I finally got my hair cut and dyed. It took a long time to human again.

Since I feel like Ive grown into my new face, having the bones settle down / start knitting together, I had my husband help me get some artist head shots done (It has been almost 5 years). Really it is the first set of portraits ever taken that I actually like. Its hard to explain but I feel like I now have all my bones are in the right place.

I have also pretty much regained all face making skills. Oh, I can also almost whistle again too! I do still have trouble with talking. The letters "E", "F", "S", "V" & "Z" are still setting off crazy flares in my skin and teeth. Also words like "Bouillon", "Tactical", & "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" are pretty tricky too. Im just learning how to move my face again, thats all. Just severed nerves and sad muscles…pfft, nothing.

I am back to the full time work and work out game. My face still can be distracting but I have too many exhibits to prepare for… so I am hoping the exhibits will now be the distraction from the nerve-crazies.

Except now I also have a ganglion cyst in my hand from working so much but thats just another can of worms…

Food:

Oh, food… I miss all of you. Yesterday I was actually able to unhinge my jaw enough to eat a large fancy sushi roll!! I have also had a sandwich last month!! It was a smaller sandwich but it counts. Cant eat a sub yet, my teeth still have a lot of patches of numbness so its weird to eat complicated food. I did try almonds recently…I can bite through them but one at a time and super slowly. Progress!

The Grind:

So today I took a trip to Dr. Nealis to get my teeth shaved down. Shaved down like a domestic rodent. Since my teeth were worn unevenly pre-surgery I need to get everything levelled out.


I cant think of a better way to find out that you have over active and super sensitive saliva glands than to make it almost impossible to get this procedure finished. I was there for about an hour struggling to get this done. To mark the teeth, to shave the appropriate spots, the teeth need to be super dry. womp womp. So I got 1/3 of this done… I have to take a pill to dry my mouth out for a few hours to finish this up. SO WEIRD! My teeth also now feel crazy because full / different sections touch. The photo above is the last section that needs to get adjusted.

Well… I will get this done in a month or so. I still have my essex retainers, I have been wearing them as often as I haven't. Soooooo Ive been bad…. but i wear them every night.

When I work i tend to push my tongue to the back of my teeth and I get crazy tooth sensitivity. I think Ive discovered my stress tick…. I have resigned myself to wear these retainers when I have long work days / tight deadlines so I dont mess up these chompers.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to share these wonderful up to date post with us. This is great to read all the informative information that you provide with each of your articles. Have a great day.
    Dentist Philadelphia

    ReplyDelete