Monday, August 17, 2015

Day 39: That tingling feeling

My next appointment with the surgeon and the orthodontist is closing in fast. On Thursday I get the splint removed from the roof of my mouth. While I look forward to being able to say my S' again, I am very nervous about how they are actually going to get it out of my face. The metal posts go thru the gums, the most terrifying twist ties. While im very sick of my jaw being numb, I may have to get them to re-numb the top…I have the fear.

Beware the metal twist ties… who knows how many lurk within

I'm unsure as to how many of my teeth actually have feeling now. When I chew I only feel it in patches. I'm hoping they are just numb enough for my first return Orthodontic appointment (which is also Thursday). I will be getting new bands and having brackets repaired and replaced.

Numbness:
My bottom jaw is still void of actual feeling but it is not lacking in extreme spiky, burning sensations with a bit of muscle squirming thrown in. I really hope this terrible sensation means I will get all nerve function back eventually. I have to remind myself that it hasnt been that long since surgery, im actually ahead of the game, just impatient. It would be more bearable if my lip had feeling. I think I have been biting my lip but i have no idea.

A dash of this, a pinch of that and a handful of this gives you:
The Dead Zone
Sleep:
Sleeping has been interesting…I am still trying to stay at a slight incline but started waking up on my side, sliding halfway down the pillow. It makes my face feel odd to be sleeping on my side. I think I am also grinding my teeth or my jaw spasms in the night. Either way I wake up because my teeth are touching in an odd manner… OR maybe its only odd because my teeth never meet before? Who knows?

Vitamins:
I have started taking supplements, a D3, B complex (B1, B2, B6, B12) - 5 times a week and a multivitamin 2 times. I was told to take a multivitamin in liquid form when I was on a liquid diet. Now that I can open my maw more I take in pill form. I had a D deficiency going in to surgery so giving bone health a boost was a no brainer. B vitamins assist with the nervous system. I consulted a pharmacist when picking out a D and B vitamin.


Chewing:
This is still a dull subject. Dull because I have little feeling in my teeth. Chewing is a dull pressure that sort of just happens. Some teeth randomly give a pain signal, and sometimes my jaw muscles forget what they are doing…makes everything very interesting. I actually dont know how to chew properly yet, i only have the up and down motion. I never had teeth that touched so its going to take a while to adapt. The body is good at adapting, I just wish I could feel it adapting so I knew what was going on.

Exercises:
Last week I went to the gym twice. I have found I can swim laps slowly with my head above water for about 30 mins. I can ride a spin bike for about an hour, using resistance and while remaining in the seat, slightly upright. I am going to keep it up, 2 days a week, until I can do more.



When I do go to the gym I feel great afterwards…the following day however, I feel like I ran a marathon. My body just needs to get used to this. It also needs to get back to working in the studio…



No comments:

Post a Comment