Friday, August 7, 2015

One Month!

This weekend marks one month post surgery! While I still have some daily challenges I have been coming along.
Side by side smile comparison provided by Miranda.
Last week vs 2013 at Clutter Gallery.
Today's face progress
The swelling continues to linger but it has gone down…slowly but surely. I have started applying ice again in the evening. The hot compresses started making the tingling more pronounced in the evening and I want to eventually get to sleep. I found a cold wrap really comforting when I got back from the hospital so why fight a good thing. I found, in my cleaning adventures, that I had an ice pack with a velcro strap (from walgreens). I just strap it around my head and i dont have to keep fiddling with it. Perfect for applying ice while reading.

One month of facial feelings:

Here is a good chart of how the feeling has been coming along since week one. The feeling shifts around a bit as everything gets in its groove…or rebuilds entirely. The green is the 50% return and blue is the bit that didnt get the memo. 

Week one, two, three and four
Chewing:

While feeling is returning it is still pretty hard to actively chew. It feels like there is a strap across my chin that pulls backward every time i open my mouth to put food in. My teeth on the left side are tender. Pushing down feels odd and and a bit sore…kind of like a cavity, i was told this may be due to the nerves regaining feeling. I do not have any sensitivity to heat or cold. Even tho im getting more advanced with food options it still is a less than comfortable experience.

Fun, Friends, & Flapjacks:

This past week I have had some visitors, house guests, meals in restaurants and have started organizing my home. My first meal out of the house was crazy, my friend Nonie came in to visit from Philly and we went for burgers. Well, Jarrett and Nonie ate burgers and fries, I had an espresso shake and 4 mushy fries. It was glorious! After dinner we met up with some other friends who were drawing at a bar and even later on we went to the bar arcade where i ventured to have a beer and play some pinball. It was the longest I had been out of the house.

love seeing these faces

The following day my oldest friend, Arkady, came into town from St. Paul. We all went to dinner again, I brought my little spoon and hunkered down with some bean / cheese/ egg dip and a beer. The next morning I was all over some pancakes. I ate almost the full plate…which then made my stomach hurt. I have not been used to all that food.

I was so exhausted the following day that I had to just stay in my pjs. I must say breakfast food is awesome if you can not chew fully (I love breakfast food anyway, but it leveled up). I discovered that tofu seasoned with black sesame, soy sauce and pepper with small cut mix greens is also a fantastic option. I have since also gone out 2 more times for bfast with family.

Level up that soft food
Everyone has been super sweet and supportive. I know it will take me more time to get back to being able to be out longer and begin working but the gifts and love keep coming. It is so nice to get letters and care packages from friends all over. It really makes me feel pretty awesome.


 I have been able to spend a few more hours out at a time before the fatigue sets in. Yesterday I was out for about 3 hours, walking around and doing some shopping with my mother in law. Today I was out for about 3 hours and walked over 2 miles with my Sister in Law and niece. Another omelet and a trip to the zoo was pretty excellent. A lovely day to get some exercise!

Adventuring with this little lady
Over the next week I hope to clean and organize a room (or part of a room) a day in my home. I would like to finally do my spring cleaning and as a result I hope to get back into doing a little work on personal projects. 

I also hope to return to the gym for some light activity. I have to consult my surgeon to get the go ahead but Im kind of sick of being lazy. 

I will also be releasing my Tooth for A Tooth pieces soon. I had prepped some pieces before my surgery and am almost ready to finish them up for the shop. 



No comments:

Post a Comment